View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Rooted Nook Simple Touch - a fine ereader

After a bit of hassle, I finally fully rooted a Nook ST, learned how to wireless install apps from my pc computer, and am really impressed with it. Without rooting, it was an excellent reader for epubs but wouldn't do fb or mobi, but after installing coolreader 3 apk and fb reader, it does everything I need for a ereader. In addition it has many of the advantages of a tablet, and many apps and apks can be installed on it.

I had been in the market for a newer version of my trusty old BeBook One, but didn't want to pay the high prices for boox or pocketbook. The major impetus recently occurred when I tried to read a long epub with 48 chapters and some odd complex xhtml formatting. With BeBook One I could only read about 2/3rd of the book before it hung - there was no way I could read the final chapters. The unrooted Nook handled it perfectly, and the fonts, font size, margins, etc are easily be changed.

A rooted Nook (or the unrooted one if one only wants epubs or calibre converts) in my opinion, is a great buy at $99.

One negative, however, is that Nook doesn't organize ebooks according to file folders. There is a crude work-around that isn't very satisfactory, and I'm still working to find the most useful way to organize many ebooks. The B&N favored is by bookshelf, but according to posts on the Nook site, this doesn't work well with many books that are not purchased from B&N.

Last edited by bobcdy; 04-27-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added new material on ebook organization
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote