View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren Tyr View Post
(Incidentally, I thought I had the above issue sorted, by instead using FBReader to view (unencrypted) mobipocket files, since I'd altered the default font to Times. Unfortunately, though they now looked fantastic, I was incredibly disappointed by how SLOW FBReader was compared to the standard mobipocket viewer. Pages seem to take about 5-6 seconds as opposed to probably less than a second with the standard viewer.)
I assume you (like me) are using FBReader 0.8.4, because of its flexibility. The 0.8.14 version is significantly faster, but it does not have menus. It is possible to setup 0.8.14 as a replacement for MobiPocket Reader for DRM-free files, but it is complicated. See Update Settings for FBReader 0.8.14. You would need to modify the registry support and put all your DRM-free .prc files in individual .zip files, and in addition you would update ui.xml to use the "Times" font.

I have found that it is relatively difficult to unwind from 0.8.14 back to 0.8.4, and your 0.8.4 files may get deleted when you switch to 0.8.14. So at a minimum you should make a copy of _local/home/.FBReader on your Desktop computer. These will also give you clues about what to add to the 0.8.14 ui.xml, e.g. for your favorite font.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote