Thank you for explaining the situation regarding the table of contents problem in Mobipocket creator in regard to IE9, of which I was unaware.
When I started using Mobipocket creator the tutorials that I came across were using the Guide option as the way of adding a pre-existing table of contents, so this was the method I learnt. They also highlighted that the Guide feature didn't work with IE9, and it was this problem that I eventually found a work around for.
In the light of your explanation of the problem with Mobipocket creator's internal method of creating a table of contents, I can see now that a different title for this thread would have been better. This would have made it clear that what was provided was a work around for the Guide option problem in IE9, but not for the table of contents option.