View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
mike2046
mike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Hi DDHarriman,

I'm puzzled. The compatability mode change I've described does allow one to create table of contents and also (with editing of the opf file) to further incorporate the toc.ncx file to provide for the Kindle navigation. Originally I had the same problem with IE9 installed ie creating a TOC failed. At first I reverted to using IE8, then found this compatability mode information on the Microsoft site, tried it and it worked. I have used this to successfully create several books with TOC and the toc.ncx file as well.

To recap, the change I've indicated needs to be made to ALL the html files that are part of the mobipocket creator program - these are found in C:/Program Files/mobipocket.com/mobipocket creator/rsc/html folder and the C:/Program Files/mobipocket.com/mobipocket creator/rsc/html/editor/popups folder). As I understand it this compatability setting allows IE9 to run javascript on the old basis in such instances. The compatability setting is needed because by default IE9 works differently re Javascript compared to IE8.

I do NOT make this change to any of the html for the books I am creating, and they work fine. I think the change is only needed within the mobipocket program html files themselves, and that largely because they use javascript and IE9 handles javascript differently than IE8. If you have IE9 installed and you make the changes to your book html instead of to the mobipocket program html then it will fix nothing and you will continue to get crashes with mobipocket when trying to generate a toc.

I hope this clarifies things.
mike2046 is offline   Reply With Quote