View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
Hello

I don't have a Pocketbook, in fact until earlier this evening they had completely passed me by as I have a Sony Reader.

However, I friend mentioned she had one so I investigated and found that some models use TTS. As my husband is totally blind he has to rely on speech in order to read and if the Pocketbook can actually read books to him it would be something I would be interested in buying.

Could someone please let me know how good TTS is, which model is best for TTS and if it can be set as the default for reading all books or if it has to be set on a per book basis. Also, are the navigation screens also speech enabled so that he can find the books and the settings he needs? In fact, the complete lowdown on TTS would be great

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers
Deddajay
Have you considered the Apple iPad? It can be used by totally blind users right "out of the box" and has won many awards from organizations which support the blind for its excellent accessibility.

The problem with TTS on devices like the Pocketbook and the Kindle is that yes, they will read to you, but you still need to be sighted in order to actually open the book, turn TTS on, etc. The iPad doesn't have that issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote