View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post
It strikes me that you'd also want to find ebooks by the same owner (because if you find someone with one book, you want, chances are that they'd have others.

Also, this doesn't really solve the problem of finding quality works -- it's mainly good for borrowing well-known works.

Another thing. This may not apply to bestsellers, but a lot of the ebooks I am interested in costs less than $4. It seems like a lot of trouble to borrow something for that cheap (even if we assume that the ebook is available for lending and that the person responds rather quickly).
The only site that allows you to browse at all the available books a user has is Lendle. You can "follow" users and will see on the main page when they add new books.

Most of the books available are indie books. Personally, I still find my book recommendations through other sites/people and add them to my very long wishlist. If the book is lending-enabled, it's more likely that I'll read it (and discover if I like that author or not) sooner. There are so many books out there, that even the small subset of lending-enabled books is enough to keep me busy. (Right now I've borrowed The Maze Runner and I'm enjoying it so far. I think it's good that even if Random House doesn't usually enable lending, they are doing it for the first one in this trilogy.)

It might be a bit of trouble to get started, but now that I have some credits on both Lendle and ebookfling, I don't find it an inconvenience. But then, I'm a student and a bit of a tightwad, so YMMV. It also depends on whether you want a specific book at that moment (in this case I'd probably just buy the book if it's not too expensive) or if you are OK with occasionally getting books from a list of several that you are interesed in checking out.

Also worth mentioning are some publishers that have lending-enabled books:
Bloomsbury (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Anthony Bourdain books)
Knopf (Inheritance, His Dark Materials, The Book Thief)
Scholastic (Hunger Games, Maggie Stiefvater books)
Rosetta Books (Kurt Vonnegut, I Am Legend, Brave New World)
Disney Hyperion (Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl)
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote