Thread: Skype on K3
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
That iPod client would be a better object for hacking then, I think :-) (no, I don't think this is feasible for even a bunch of developers to do that in their spare time). It is fit for the right platform...

The Linux client page doesn't really mentioned it, but last time I looked (warning: older version, some time passed since then) they had only x86 (i686) clients, not even x86_64/amd64 - let alone ARM (ARM6!) which we would have on the Kindle. Not to mention that there isn't enough CPU power (not close to 1 GHz), not enough RAM (well, we would have exactly 256 MB, but it's even more expensive since we do not have Swap).

I don't think this idea is feasible. Probably "easiest" is to port Android (which has Skype clients, I think?). And that's far off from what I would call "easy" at all. Otherwise it's a proprietary protocol, encumbered proprietary software - not what I would call hobbyist developers' beloved plaything. The only chances to see something like Skype on the Kindle I can see is to persuade Skype and Amazon that this would be something they could make money and happy customers.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote