Originally Posted by daesdaemar
OK, I am a noob at this. While I await my PM with code, could someone be kind enough to walk me through exactly what I need to do once I get it? I have looked through the Baen website and can't seem to find exactly where I process this???
plib did a nice writeup in the February thread:
Originally Posted by plib
The process isn't too confusing but I know I had to work it out a little the first time, so in bullet form:
- You PM me requesting the code and including your email address. NOTE: This cannot be an email address already registered with a Baen account as the email used to generate the code has to be "new to Baen".
- If I have not yet used my code I enter your address on checkout as outlined below and you receive the new code in email. If I have previously used my code then I send you the new code from the copy email I received on checkout using a throwaway holding email, as specified in Step 9.
- I post on the main thread that you now have the code and are the current last-in-line for the next person to contact.
- Go to Baen. The code generated is a single use code, once used it cannot be reused, but it does not have to be used with an account registered to the "new" email address given to create the code. Therefore if you already have a Baen account you can use the code with your existing account. If you do not have an existing account then follow Step 7 after you have filled your shopping cart.
- Select the relevant monthly bundle for purchase. Then go to your shopping cart. Down the page under the cart is a box labelled "Coupon or Gift Card" - copy and paste the code into the box.
- Click the "Update Cart" button. That should change the purchase sub-total to zero. If it does then click the "Checkout Now" button.
- If you do not already have a Baen account you will have to use the "Register and Checkout" button. You will have to create a new account, entering the information as requested. Then proceed to complete the order.
- When the order is complete it will give you the option of inviting a friend and sending them a code.
- If you have the email of the next recipient then enter it here. If you do not have details for the next recipient then create and enter a throwaway email - you will get a copy of the invitation and code at the email you entered above to register and can use that to send it to the next recipient when one asks.
- It is crucial that you enter an email and generate a code, even if you don't have a valid email for the next recipient. Otherwise the chain will be broken! If necessary set up a one-time throwaway account on Yahoo or similar and use that. I think you must use a valid email address or it get kicked back as delivery failure notice. So do not use a work email address or spam filters may well eat it. If you use gmail check your spam folder.
- PM the next recipient with the code on request.
- Post in the main thread who the next recipient is, so that he can be contacted in turn.
- Return to step 1 (or actually step 4, I guess).
It looks a bit long and complicated like that, but it's pretty simple once you start doing the steps.