View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Review 622 / Touch

Hooray, it's there ...

Today my new PB Touch has arrived, and over the next few days, I hope to write a similarly good and comprehensive report on the device as Tuxor has done for the M92 in the "other devices".

From the first impression a great device, fast processor is immediately noticeable, the boot time is about 10 seconds, my old 602 somtimes takes up to half a minute, true "waiting times" I have not (yet) experienced, but until now no large PDFs are involved

First, the most important: THE SCREEN
Hmmm, the Pearl screen of my wifes PRS-350 and my 602 is lighter , although I think the contrast is better than of the two comparators. This matter will probably be cause a few religious wars again, personally I have to test it first a few days before I give a final opinion.
The darker background appears to be caused by the capacitive touch layer. Just before Christmas, I tried the Bokeen Odyssey that has a capacitive screen too, but it was much dark, and less contrast than the 622.

In general, the touch screen, works great, very sensitive and pinch-to-zoom is a nice touch. Marks and handwritten notes do work with my sausage fingers to about 3mm from the edge (no marks in PDFs, no handwriting in DJVUs), the marked pages show up with a thumbnail in the TOC. The same applies to set bookmarks, labels, comments, etc. (can be adjusted). If the zoom level is changed a small icon shows that there is a note (is a bit difficult to recover the correct zoom level, here it would be a good idea if the table of contents shows not only on the page but also the appropriate zoom)
What I alsofind unsatisfactory is the selection of the dictionary. Unfortunately it's not long tap on a word, but you must go the way of menu-> dictionaries.
In addition, PB has touch "hot spots" that seemingly can not be changed easily.
-Top left: the main menu
-Top right: Bookmark
-Center left / right: front page
-Lower left / right: previous page
-Lower center: go to page ...
-Center: Menu
Not really intuitive, and PB known for it's "personalization" of the previous readers definitely a to-do for the developers

What pleases me exceptionally is the "panning" of PDFs. Just back and forth, updating the screen is quick enough to determine where you are on the page when you let go it is a complete refresh. Caution: if you push too wild you'll land on the next page.

The main menu is slightly different than in the PRO series, but in my opinion much more thoughtful constructed, since there are no "Widgets" any more, but a long list of recently read books. The previous arrangement Library / Favorites / notes, etc. is still there, but can be hidden in favor of the book list.

The submenus are then constructed as it is known from the models of the PRO series here, and in the configuration, there is finally "LED on / off" often missing the point
Small flaw in the sub-menus: pages in the book will "wipe" by turned over in the menus I have to tap the arrow keys, there is still need for improvement.

Wi-Fi didn't work ot once, have to look it up in the manual, the various other applications will follow later. In the next few days, I will first load the reader with Calibre, play around a lot and post images and videos (Can someone please explain how I tie-in a youtube video? Best PM solved, THX kacir) and update this first quick shot here.

Short Summary: Too bad this is not the Sony IR Touch, in that case I'd give six of a possible five stars, so there are only four
The FW is much better than any previous first drafts of PB, my complaints are compared to other devices definitely "first-class misery".

Pictures and videos will be posted only in the german section because I don't want to waste server space for unnecessary double postings.

Last edited by troll05; 03-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote