Many people have complained about the Kobo Vox charging situation
- Short Cable
- Lack of extra charger for sale
- Inability of Tablet to recognise 3rd Party chargers (no green light)
I have read various suggestions about how the charger is wired but nobody has actually published any results.
I have now investigated the wiring of the charger (without opening anything up) and I find the following setup for the micro-B connector -
- Pins 1 and 5 provide 5V power - as they normally do
- Pins 2 and 3 are shorted together - as they are when a USB outlet is use only for charging (i.e. no data transfer)
- Pin 4 is shorted to Pin 5!
Pin 4 in normally not connected for a micro-B type connector so I think that Kobo have used this pin to let their tablet recognise only their own charger - and nobody else's!!
I would like to know if anyone has found the same as I have and if anyone has constructed a suitable adaptor to overcome the Kobo restriction. In the meantime, I will continue my own investigations and, hopefully post some more info.