View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Shankill
Nameless Being

Just me? Can't download ADE EPUB from the Kobo site

Usually wouldn't start a thread about an issue, but this one's a doozy, and Kobo's generally helpful tech support is completely useless on this one. I bought this book, Blindsight by Chris Colin, just on a month ago, and since then, I haven't been able to download the ADE EPUB from the Kobo site. It syncs fine to my Touch and the Desktop app, but every time I try to download the EPUB, I get this:

Quote:
Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_USER_AUTH
I looked around for any solutions, and I found one suggestion of adding a firewall exception, but that didn't help. I've tried downloading it in three different installations: Windows 7, Windows 8 CP and Fedora (running ADE through Wine). Same error in all three systems. And what makes this even more frustrating is that I've bought and downloaded 23 books from the Kobo store since then with no issue (I have a mild addiction to Kobo discount codes). Yet I still get the same error each and every time.

So I contacted Kobo's email support. They suggested trying the firewall exception, which I'd already tried, and then they gave up, saying that they can't help me because my Touch can download it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo support email
Unfortunately, as this book loads fine onto your Kobo Touch in the method recommended for it, we can offer no further insight than has already been provided. Perhaps Adobe can be of more help in this matter. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Problem for me is I keep all of my ebooks in Calibre and do occasionally use other ereaders. Having one book out of three hundred stubbornly tied to Kobo software annoys me a little, as does how easily they gave up given that being able to download the ADE EPUB is a reasonably prominent feature of the website.

And so I turn to all you fine chaps and chapettes of MR for advice on how to get this damned book on my computer through ADE. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Last edited by Shankill; 03-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.