View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I'm glad I stuck the ladle in the soup and gave it a good stir. I didn't do this to upset anybody, just share another viewpoint. When I upload my new book to Amazon, if I recall, I'll have an option to select DRM. I'll check it. Most people reading off Kindles have no idea or interest in stripping the DRM off something they've purchased. For those of you that do, I really don't care, unless you start distributing my book for profit. That'd piss me off–and for those of you that don't buy DRM'd books, no problem, your not my market. (and I wish you the best BTW!)
The problem is that DRM *just plain doesn't work*. You're correct, that a majority of the folks using Kindles and Nooks don't care. But if you think that adding DRM is going to protect your book from being pirated, you're dreaming. If your books become even somewhat popular, they *will* end up on the torrents. You've gained nothing and you've managed to bother a portion of your readership.

I'm not going to stop buying books with DRM. It's a simple (really it is) matter to remove it and just continue reading on my prefered device. But if my choice is to buy from Amazon with DRM or from Baen without, I'll go to Baen.