View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, Jetbook Mini, Jetbook Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro
As a correction on my previous post, seemingly the Astak does have an indent, but much too large! The Jetbook has one a few characters wide, which looks nice on the screen. The Astak has one the size almost of a 6 letter word, and especially in larger fonts, it could almost look like some sentences are centered, and very little text is appearing on the screen!

The audio quality is worse on the Astak. The resolution better, the contrast worse, the screen is more reflective, but I really prefer the round dial on the right above the slider on the jetbook!
The 'next page' (arrow to the right) on the left of the screen, is slightly too high for comfort. It would have felt more natural if those buttons would have been lowered by 1/2 to 1 inch.

I much prefer the Astak's SD card without an ugly looking flap. The SD card also inserts normally, as opposed to upside down (with golden pins on the top) as on the Jetbook.
The small buttons make the device look smaller than the jetbook, eventhough both devices are about just as big (5 inch devices).

My EZReader (Pocket pro) has a matte white housing, very nice, less reflective, but the white is too bright even for the white of the e-ink.
It stands out in bright environments.

For $50, any device like this is really worth the price, especially because about a year to two years ago, this device was priced triple this price!

Astak EZ Reader Pro's weaknesses:
- Audio quality is good, and crisp, but not excellent
- Screen reflection
- Indent is too large
- TTS is too robotic sounding

Astak EZ Reader Pro's strengths:
- Ultra light
- Looks much smaller than other similar devices
- Case light reflection is near to zero
- E-ink (800x600 pix,in a 5" screen)
- Good sleeve/pocket, though larger than the reader, making it impossible to fit inside a pocket of a standard jacket.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote