View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
The "extended partition" stuff works differently. You designate the last partition (let's say number 4) as extended and this allows you to create more partitions inside numbered 5, 6, etc. So after that you realy have block devices /dev/foo5 and /dev/foo6 along with your /dev/foo1 etc.

But what ixtab says gives sense. You have also the partition table on the exported usb drive. But I always thought that this is only virtual.
That is why I said "sort of how they work", meaning that it has similar behavior, but is implemented differently.

@ixtab: Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I have various flash media that I have put multiple partitions on, and only SOME of them can be marked as a USB HARD DRIVE instead of generic removable media.

If you cannot mark your media as a hard drive (using special USB commands not supported by all flash media), then you need to fake it with windows registry changes, so that windows will see more than the first partition.

Alternate solutions that amazon *could* have used would be to make the exported USB drive appear as a USB hard drive, or to make the first partition on the main partition table. But their solution is probably more reliable.

One side benefits of exporting a device as a USB hard drive is that windows will let you format it as NTFS without using special software to do that.

Thanks ixtab for finally managing to get the information you have been trying to teach me into my "thick" head.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote