Code sent to jhempel24. He is now the current last-in-line to PM for the next code.
For those who are a bit confused about the process, as I was the first time, I've done a quick step-by-step guide. I think it's all correct and complete, but please post any errors or corrections.
Please note, initiating a gift code chain does NOT work if you make the original purchase by Paypal! Because Baen process Paypal payments differently you will never be given the option to generate the first gift code. If anyone wants to start a chain they should use a credit card or Baen's micropay system (which I think can be topped up using Paypal before the actual purchase).
The process isn't too difficult but I know I had to work it out the first time, so in bullet form:
It may look a bit long and complicated, but it's pretty straightforward if you follow the steps.
- PM the last person in the chain to request the code and include your email address. NOTE: This cannot be an email address that has already been registered with Baen to create any account, either for book purchase or the PlanetBaen webgame, as the email used to generate the code has to be "new to Baen". Your best bet is to create an entirely new email just for this particular offer, that way there should be no possible rejections. (Some people have reported successfully reusing an email that has been used only for code generation and no other Baen related purpose. If you choose to do this you assume the responsibility for the utility of email and the integrity of the chain. The 100% failsafe method is to create a new one-time email address for each code request.)
- Post in the main thread that you have PM'd to request the code, so that the next eager reader to join the line knows who to contact with his PM.
- If I have not yet used my code I enter your address on checkout as outlined below and you receive the new code in email. If I have previously used my code then I send you a copy of the new code from the throwaway holding email I used on checkout, as specified in Step 10.
- I post on the main thread that it has been passed on, and that you are the current holder of the code.
- Go to Baen (there is a link directly to the monthly bundle in the gift certificate). The code generated is a single use one. Once used it cannot be reused and it is only valid for that month's bundle. However it does not have to be used with a Baen account registered to the "new" email address given to create the code. Therefore if you already have a Baen account you can use your code with that existing account. If you do not have an existing account then follow Step 8 after you have filled your shopping cart.
- Select the relevant monthly bundle for purchase. Go to your shopping cart. Down the page under the cart is a box labelled "Coupon or Gift Card" - copy and paste the code into the box.
- Click the "Update Cart" button. That should change the purchase sub-total to zero. If it does then click the "Checkout Now" button. No information should be required on the next screen, "Payment Info", as your purchase total will be zero so just click the "Continue Checkout" button.
- If you do not already have a Baen account you will have to use the "Register and Checkout" button. Create a new account and enter the information required. Then proceed to confirm the order.
- When you reach screen #5 in the Baen order process - headed "5-Order Confirmation"- there is a large box labelled "Gift Monthly Baen Bundle" which gives you the option to invite a friend and send them a new code. (Note: Completing "Order Confirmation" uses up your code. If you abort the order at this stage without confirming it your code is still valid. So if you are notified of any problems with the email provided for the next recipient then abort at this stage, resolve the difficulty and come back and reprocess the order)
- Enter the email of the next recipient on the "Gift Email address:" line. If you do not have details for the next recipient then use a free webmail provider such as Yahoo to create a throwaway email and enter that as the gift recipient. You will also always get a confirmation copy of the invitation and code at the email for the account used to make the purchase, and can use either to send the code to the next recipient who asks. It's worth keeping this confirmation copy in case the original gets eaten by a spam filter.
- It is crucial that you enter a valid email address and generate a code, even if you don't yet have an email for the next recipient. Otherwise the chain will be broken! If necessary set up a one-time throwaway account on Yahoo or similar and use that. It must be a valid email address or it will get kicked back as a delivery failure notice, so do not just make up an address. Do not use a work email or other address where spam filters may eat it. If you use gmail check your spam folder.
- PM the next recipient with the code on request.
- Post the current holder of the code in the main thread.
- Return to step 1 (or actually step 4, I guess).