I'd like to thank everyone for looking at this so thoroughly.
Originally Posted by jttraverse
Partly to answer my own question above, I've just now run the recent Kindlestrip python script against my huge Mobi file, stripping out the original ePub. Holy @#$!! what a difference. I have to say this is a sweet and simple little script, and it reduced the original 14.5mb Mobi file down to under 5mb.
I am neither a tech person or a math person, but these are the numbers I had:
The ePub file I started with was 819.3kb
I ran it through kindlegen and it came out 2.2 a MB mobi that I uploaded to KDP.
KDP processed it, accepted it and allowed me to download it to preview, and it was now 1.4 MB
I don't have a Kindle Fire so I haven't been able to test it.
As I understand it (but bear in mind I'm a noob self publisher, so I may well be wrong) the new kindle gen mobi files are designed to work on all Kindles. Since old Kindles and New Kindles are not compatible, I think this new container mobi included both an old fashioned mobi that works on older models, and the kf8 that works on kindle fire.
Presumably when I uploaded the kindle genned version Amazon's processing compressed the thing. I would think when someone buys a kindle eBook they would want it to work, no matter which Kindle device they have. I would be worried that stripping out a version would mean that it might not work on one or the other.