View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttraverse
However, the Mobi file converted with the new Previewer (which I think uses the new KindleGen) is much larger than the original ePub (5mb larger). I've been told it's because Mobi keeps the original in there when it does the conversion, which wouldn't be a problem except that Amazon charges you per-MB and that can add up on a big book. I heard about Kindlestrip possibly removing the excess original material, but I'm not sure it will work since Amazon's new K8 format seems to be a new issue for all these programs.

So, does anyone know if it's possible to remove the junk from a converted Mobi file and reduce the size so it's in-line with the original ePub size (or less if Mobi crunches images as I hear it does?) Does removing it damage it's usability in some way I won't want?
The output of kindlegen 2 is quite large. Mostly because (as you said) it's a combination MOBI/KF8 file. But also because the original source ePub is included as well. I believe the newest version of kindlestrip can strip out the source files of the new format—and other scripts can even be used to split it into two stand-alone ebooks (the older standard MOBI and the newer KF8), but I would hesitate before doing that to files I intended to upload to Amazon (I wouldn't hesitate to strip the source files). The reason being: Amazon strips the source and splits the original file so that it can send the proper file-type to the various devices (depending on what they can handle). They never send that whole great-big file to anyone. Only the piece they need.

If you were to strip out the old mobi format before uploading to Amazon, then only those with Kindle Fires (or the newest apps) would be able to read your book. The new format won't work on the older eInk Kindle devices (so far).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote