View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #129
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
Hi geekmaster, this is exciting stuff! So glad you were able to reproduce my Kindle's fastboot behaviour. Just to clarify my observations, I believe that I also lose fastboot when I reboot the computer (which probably loses power at some point), and when I am running WMware player with Ubuntu in Windows XP (via Bootcamp), switching on that USB device within VMware also drops it out of fastboot, despite the Kindle being physically plugged in the whole time. Perhaps there is a power interruption there too. However it sounds like the same thing didn't happen for you using VirtualBox, to emulate a PC within linux? (I'd be trying virtualbox for the PC right at this moment if it wasn't a big time investment, due to running out of space on my bootcamp partition) Can't wait to hear if your hub idea works, because that would definitely be another way for it to work for me.
The hub did not work. I am trying to compile fastboot for windows now.

Rebooting a computer resets the USB port, which would have the same effect as losing power (just like a powered USB hub did not work).

VirtualBox boot windows an OS with the kindle owned by the host PC OS. When you pass a USB *device* through to the VM, or pass it out of the VM to the host, the kindle does not lose fastboot mode.

I am running WinXP in a VM on a linux host, but I have heard of success running linux in a VM on a windows host as well.

It makes things a little more difficult when the kindle drops out of fastboot mode on USB reset or disconnect.

I am having issues getting libusb for mingw/msys right now. But when done, fastboot should run as a native windows app (no cygwin shell or cygwin DLL needed).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote