View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfleming View Post
In reference to your concern about the big shots being too busy, my proposed solution is to target people who's sales rank refect that they are 'just about to make it big' in your category of choice.
I'm unclear on this: Are you talking about publishers seeking out writers based on Amazon sales rankings? If so... this presupposes the writer's goal is to be handled by a publisher. (That would not be my choice; I'd rather work independently.)

It also would suggest publishers would select an author based purely on numbers, not on their actual product (not just what genre they write in, but how they write, what is their output, etc), and in only one bookselling venue, which I don't think is a good idea.

Sales rankings are obviously useful to indicate how something sells. But it provides little actual information as to a product's quality or other aspects... just to its popularity. The big problem with independents is that it takes a lot more to build up enough popularity to even be seen in those rankings, while others who know how to "play the system" can inflate their popularity with no decent product to sell.

Of course, you can take all that as it is: Anecdotal comments from an indie writer who's never had high Amazon rankings...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote