Thread: Odyssey Dictionaries: WANTED
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Got a few things about Penelope. I finally downloaded it and looked through your code. It appears to me that you hacked the XML support in afterwards, especially since you parse the file by hand reinventing the wheel. Is that what happened?

For stardict the custom parser might be useful, but for XML it is not. The parser is invoked after you already gobblesmacked the XML file apart. Any useful information there might have been other than key and def are gone. If you are capable to write your own custom parser, then you should be able to output a XML file with all information necessary for Penelope. E.g. synonyms as an optional part of an <entry>. I'll rewrite your read_from_xml_format() - maybe you will like it.

Also I do not yet quite understand what the difference between substititon and synonym is. Wouldn't it make sense to simply add synonyms to your global substitution list and let them be added at the end?
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote