View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Need some advice.

I currently have a Nook Color, rooted to CM7 on sdcard. I don't use it much other than to read because it is too slow.

My requirements:
You might want to look at the Archos 80 G9 Turbo. It is an 8" with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Here is a $260 link from a reliable seller.:

http://www.adorama.com/ARC501895.html
Quote:
Cost - $299 or less

Apps: Andriod Market or Amazon (must have apps: Kindle, B&N, Moon+Reader, Adilko)
It comes with Android Market and you can add Amazon Market.

I use Kindle, CoolReader and Manatno but have tried all those you mentioned with no problem.

Quote:

Storage: ability to sideload my epub books so I can read them with Moon+reader; 8MB at least

Processor: 1GB?? 512???
Sideloading is no problem. This is cross between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. All three run the TI OMAP 4430 processor. The Archos has as 512 RAM like the Kindle, 16GB Flash memory like the Nook but runs at 1.2Ghz rather than 1Ghz of the kindle and Nook.
Quote:

Games - want to be able to play a few

Movies - maybe, maybe not. I have a TV.

Size: No more than 9"?? Am used to 7" NC

I saw that Office Depot had the Lenova ThinkPad K1 for $299 on clearance. Kindle Fire is $199; Nook Tablet 8GB is $199;

I want a good clear picture no matter what a do. Wi-Fi definately.

Any thoughts?
I have or have had more than a dozen tablets and the Archos is by far my favorite.

My primary use for the Archos is as a reader. I noticed I was getting pretty good battery life so I gave it a test. In airplane mode with GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi off I got 14.5 hours between 100% and 15% of battery life. I was reading abut 2 hours at a stretch and powering down after each read.

I installed MX Video Player and was able to play any video format I tried without a burp. I installed Netflix but don't use it much (would rather read).

There is a less expensive version (1Ghz - 6GB) called the Archos 80 G9 Classic. This was their first model and has a few issues. You would be better off with the Turbo version.(Mfr. Part: 501895).

With the addition of an OTG usb adapter cable it supports a keyboard, mouse and flash drives. There is also a full sized usb port meant for a 3G phone card but will support a flash drive (I haven't tried a keyboard or mouse in that port).

If you have any questions give me a shout.

Regards - John

P.S. It comes with Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) but Archos has said that an update to 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) will be available later this month.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote