View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfleming View Post
There's some great discussion on here today!

Here's a couple more things that I believe may be related to indie success:
Just a note about 2 of your points above:

#1: Feelings of confidence aside, a few of us produce ebooks only because we don't want to create the environmental waste of printed books. For me, it is a source of pride that I can produce books without chopping down trees, polluting forests and burning oil to run factories, drive trucks and climate-control warehouses.

#4: Identifying the "key figures" in your niche can be tricky enough; some of them look like insiders, but are anything but. Finding one who's willing to accept your generous offering is even harder. More than once I've tried to submit something to these "key players," only to be told that they are not accepting submissions outside of a very tight circle (translation: from known publishers and agents).

Essentially, they know we're coming--all few hundred thousand of us--and they've already barricaded the doors to keep us at bay.

What authors need today is a variation on "the pizza gambit," that is, attaching your book/presentation to a carrot in order to get it past the initial gatekeepers and inside that inner circle.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote