Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #84
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Well, too early to tell of course, but I am hoping this one works okay. It was new enough to not have a charger in the box and was preloaded with 1.1.0

It took about 2hrs 45 minutes to charge from flat to full using the wall charger, which is a fair amount longer than the old nook took. Using my kill-a-watt for part of the charging, it looks like the nook charges at about 4.5w (from the wall) until roughly 80% charge and then slowly begins dropping the charging power, probably to prevent battery wear/damage. At 81% it was charging at 2.6w at 90% it was at 2.3w and 93% it was at 1.6w. I wasn't able to monitor it past that as I was putting my kids to bed and it was fully charged by the time I was done 30 minutes later (so the 2hrs 45minutes is a guess, it was at 93% at about the 2 1/2hr mark and completed somewhere before 3hrs).

So about 40% an hour for the first 2 hours, then about another 45 minutes to get the last 20% in.

Also interestingly, the process and screen use a bit more juice than I had expected. I am not sure if 100% of the extra draw from those was being pulled from the charger or not, but when I'd wake it up and the screen would refresh to the settings screen the draw would jump from 2.6w up to around 3.5w or so for about 2-3s before dropping back down.

Also, the nook charger has a HORRIBLE PF. It seems pretty efficient conversion efficiency, >80% as near as I can tell, but the PF was .46 at 4.4w. Ouch.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote