View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
This would be all fine and dandy but there are a couple of problems here:

1> There really aren't enough of those going around to justify a central server to host the update files for OTA updating.

2> If someone volunteers to host the update files they open themselves up to possibility liability.

Think of it, when a file has to be downloaded manually the person hosting the file can put whatever disclaimers on it.. you know.. "download at your own risk, don't hold me responsible if this bricks your device, etc". With an OTA update method then it can be updated automatically and if problems happen then whoever's EE/PE just got bricked will go to the person hosting the files and say "WTF did you do to my PE!?"

Who is responsible when someone's EE accidentally OTA updates itself using a PE file?

While in theory it's all fine in dandy, in real life it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not like updates for these things are rolling out on a weekly basis or anything.

If you re-read my initial post this is not exactly what I was advocating. What I was suggesting is if we can pinpoint where the eDGe downloaded the OTA update to, and we were to copy the update.zip file to that location, and ran the Update App it might make life easier for those owners who are new to the eDGe or have been sitting on the fence about updating because of all the horror stories associated with the USB / SD card method.

On my son's Kindle Fire which is an Android tablet, I have the option to either download an update via a PC and copy it to the Kindle Update folder and when I select Update it does so, OR, if the file is not present in the Kindle Fire folder the Fire will go out and seek an OTA version of the file. It looks for the file first by default and does an OTA if it is missing (I think the eDGe and most Android tablets do the same thing). Once the Fire competes the update, it deletes the update file.

Since the eDGe did it's updates OTA originally, there has to be a folder (or maybe the root) where this file was saved in order to complete the update. By copying any update file to this location it may make the entire update process much simpler. The user could still download the appropriate update desired, rename it update.zip if necessary , copy it to the appropriate location, run the Update App and bingo. I'm also assuming the eDGe deleted any OTA file after completing the update to protect Entourage's property.

What I'm proposing basically takes into consideration what you are saying. Make it so I can go to a central site like http://www.edge.ympsa.com/ where all the PE files are hosted for example and see the disclaimer. I can then click on say PE Golden Allmine, and the download I receive is named update.zip, and I move this file to the right location on the eDGe itself and run the Update App instead of fussing with renaming the file or using a USB and SD card and all the headaches associated with it.

However, let's assume someone with Android programming skills did come up with a replacement Update App which could be used for an automatic download to say the PE Golden Allmine. If they are capable of modify the App itself they could probably include a disclaimer that would popup once the Update App is launched.

Better yet, if they could just answer one simple question:

Where is the Update File saved when performing an OTA update with the Update App? This location is possibly pointed to in the App itself.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote