View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenko View Post
Hello folks!

I'm trying repair the k3 I bricked last summer

After quite some time I got hold of a FTDIchip USB cable with a rs232rg chip so that I can access the serial port.

In the cable's manual I found this scheme:

Black -> GND
Orange -> TX
Yellow -> RX

Hence I connected the ORANGE wire with the FIRST pin, the YELLOW with the SECOND and the BLACK with the THIRD. I'm sure the third it's right 'cause it's the ground.

Full of hope I tried to access my kindle using both Hyperterminal (win) and Minicom (linux) but to no avail.

For completeness sake the configuration I used is 115200 baud 8n1 with no flow control.

What am I doing wrong? Should I switch the tx/rx wires? I know I could just try and switch'em and see what happens but I'm not comfortable with this kind of things.

Could you please help?

Thank you

f
Switch them.

If you happen to end up with Rx - Rx
Nothing will happen, they are both inputs

At the same time as having Rx - Rx you will also have Tx - Tx
Nothing will happen, they are both outputs but the devices can tolerate those voltages.

The FTDI, TTL-232Rg-VREG1V8-WE adapter cable can tolerate full ttl levels on its inputs.
I can post the documents if you (or anyone else) wants the references on-line.

And for reference, here is how I did the serial port addition on one of my media players:
http://minimodding.com/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=8

And if really uncertain -
Connect only the ground and probe with the Rx lead until you see something on the soft terminal screen (after doing the "go online" business of the terminal - then use it as a probe).

Last edited by knc1; 02-28-2012 at 09:07 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote