View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzecher View Post
I'm not really sure, but it seems to me that the filename plus path may not exceed 255 characters in total.
Yes, that seems to be it.

I created a folder on the SD card that was 100 characters long and put a foobar.epub in it. That worked fine. So I don't think it's a real problem, as 100 characters is already an awful lot - I don't have such long names anywhere.

Then I created another 100 character folder in that folder and moved foobar.epub there. Then it loops and hangs. Don't try this on the internal memory of the device, if the loop never stops your device is practically bricked at that point. I had to take the SD card out and remove the folder using another cardreader.

The full length of the path name (as seen by the device, i.e. including the mountpoint for the SD card /mnt/SDFAT/ ) at this point was 224 characters so the limit is below 255.

The full path for this file from iriver point of view is actually only 224 chars long at that point, so the limit is something below that threshold. I'll try and see if I can find an accurate value.

iriver should fix this problem as such loops should not occur in any case. If it does not like long path names it should simply say so in an error message.

You can remove your syslog attachment, now that I'm able to reproduce the issue I can look at it in detail on my own device. Although I didn't see anything of interest in yours at first glance. Finding an useful error message in there was a slim chance anyway.

Is your problem now solved or do you still experience loops even when not using over long paths / filenames?

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-25-2012 at 09:41 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote