Originally Posted by ItsMee
its feels I messed up bad :-) Hope you can convince me otherwise.
- Started out with jailbreak and ssh access. Thought it would be nice to block amazon ads via /etc/hosts, while doing that i messed up passwd by replacing sh with bash (which exists) for root.
- Stupid to do that without 2nd ssh session - locked me from root as I got permission denied afterwards. Setting password with ";un password pass" as i ad done earlier didn't help
- Was still able to boot etc.. But wanted root back. Used custom RUNME.sh to sed back passwd.
- Not sure how, but I ended up with a Kindle that stops at Kindle start screen with tree and reading person
- Searched for Kindle Touch recovery and found your site. Helpful stuff!
- Was able to get into diagnosis. Was able to patch back /etc/passwd
So I'm still stuck:
1) Kindle boots only via MfgTool. No reaction to power button / hw reset at all
2) Not sure how to diagnose? See attached log as per your advice
3) No way to recovery by flashing back a backup partion via dd? If so - where to get one w/o buying a second kindle?
It might NOT be bricked. It takes a LONG time to make a backup image of mmcbl0p1. I am going to comment out that line in the previous post, just to eliminate confusion. Try rebooting with it connect to a power adapter, and let it complete the backup. Sorry...