View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #71
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite ˇ Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 ˇ Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Both of the Acer tablets are screaming steals in my opinion and must be given consideration as top dogs in their price range.
I'm very happy with both Acer tablets. The 7" Acer Iconia A100 is priced at $229 in today's Fry's Electronics ad. It looks like it may be an in-store only item. It currently runs Android 3.2 (Honeycomb); Acer has announced 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is coming in April. It has an NVIDIAŽ Tegra™ 2 dual-core mobile processor, 1GB memory, 1024 x 600 TFT display, 8GB internal storage, microSD card (32GB), HDMI out, two cameras, bluetooth, GPS, and micro USB.

The complaint I've read most frequently about the A100 is that there is a screen quality issue when held at a certain angle. I have to agree with that, but it's been no problem for me because I just flip the tablet if there's any loss of clarity at one angle. The touchscreen doesn't seem to be as accurate/responsive as my A500, but I've read that complaint about other 7" tablets as well. Also, the battery doesn't have a lot of capacity so it doesn't hold a charge as long as the A500.

The 10.1" Acer Iconia A500 has recently been replaced by the A200, but there may be some A500's still being sold.

I use both tablets for movie-watching and streaming music (love the TuneIn Radio app!). I use the smaller A100 as a portable music device (have all my music on a 32GB microSD card and listen in the car). I do use the larger A500 more often when connecting to TV to watch videos. I use the smaller A100 more often for ereading, although I still prefer my e-ink Kindle for that. I browse the internet using both tablets, but it is a better experience on the A500's larger screen.

As I've said before, I think the Kindle Fire is a great device. I seriously considered buying one myself. But if it doesn't quite meet your needs, take a look at the other tablets out there. There are some good deals. In a few more months, there are going to be fantastic new offerings too.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote