View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #32
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Very nicely put.

IMO popularity is no measure of greatness, or even competence; witness the inordinate number of awful television shows, movies, books, magazines, YouTube videos, etc. Popularity generally is a good measure of how popular something is, and that's about it. Teenagers and younger are immensely conscious of peer acceptance and will follow the trend of almost anything whether it be clothes, music, or, wait for it...books.

I think JK Rowling is a writer of moderate quality, she certainly isn't awful, but IMO she isn't superlative, hence "mediocre." I'm not a "hater" but then again I'm not a "fanboy."
Perfectly said, although I fail to understand why it is that the 'fanboys' get all butthurt when you do not agree with the popularity of whatever it is they are beating the war-drums for....popular does NOT equal good. McDonalds is popular but it certainly is not good or good for you...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote