View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #52
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrizzo View Post
i believe it would be good to keep a web server always on (hopefully it doesn't consume too much power) from which we could enable/disable/modify the various features (usbnetwork, launchpad configurations etc.).
No need to do that, *nix has a standard feature to run daemons "on demand" :: inetd

Ref: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-inetd.html

Can usually be found as part of the inetutils packages if not already provided in the Kindle system.
(Hmm... I think there is a version in Busybox, depending on your bb version and if it was built.)

Note: There are other, more recent designs, of an "Internet Super Server" - I only mention inetd here because it is probably the smallest, lightest weigh, version (free from decades of "improvements").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote