View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
Pulpmeister
Addict
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Well, the five-finger rule would blow quite a lot of books I have read off my shelves. Any Poirot novel, for starters -- I mostly guess at the meaning of his numerous French exclamations and remarks.

But what it would most blow of the shelves are my dictionaries. I have several of historic slang, two of American slang -- and I read them all from front to back as soon as I got them.

I take the view that if I discover a word I don't understand, it suggests my literacy is not up to par. What I do in practice is reach for the dictionary - not the one on my kindle, but the two-volume Shorter Oxford right behind me as I type. And, being a word-nut, I read that from A to Z when I bought it, though not in one sitting.

I also have German-English and Italian-English dictionaries within reach, both acquired when I needed to understand something.

i guess I'm just a compulsive reader.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote