View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #12348
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9, Fire 7HD, Surface 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up: Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker. I got a pointer to this from Dana Stabenow's site, and I'm roughly 40% into it already, and liking it.
Finished Bruno, Chief of Police, and enjoyed it very much indeed. This was an impulse buy, based on a recommendation from Dana Stabenow, and it has turned out to be very enjoyable. Bruno is the sole regular policeman in a smallish town (St. Denis) in the Périgord. Bruno knows everyone, and sees his job as keeping the peace and supporting the citizens of his town rather more than upholding the law. But a brutal killing brings down the forces of Paris, and leads to multiple conflicts. But, of course, in the end things basically work out. Kind of a Provence version of Louise Penny, but with a substantial bit of Miss Marple thrown in. A very enjoyable read, and one I was happy to return to at every opportunity.

Also read The Old Man and the Sea, for the first time in at least 45 years, so it was completely new to me. Obviously, it's a story that has stood the test of time, and I am grateful to The Terminator for uploading it. I hope some other Hemingways are uploaded now that he is out of copyright here in Canada (and other Life+50 countries).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote