View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Hierarchical tags and their format on book details

Is it possible to view hierarchical tags in book details neatly? I mean now it takes insane amount of place if you have a tag under which there are other tags. For example you have tag Paranormal. It is the first tag in hierarchy. Under it there is vampire, magic, ghost and whatever. If a book has a few elements from this one tag it lists word Paranormal a few times which makes it impossible to view data since it takes up a lot of space.

I have a structure like this:
Genre.[all genre types]
Character.Description.[all description tags]
Character.Type.[all possible character types]
Character.Profession.[all professions]
Ending...
Length...

So in book details if book has even a few tags it looks very messy while in tag view it looks very neat. Could it be somehow fixed that in both views it looks nice? If tag browser can distinguish the meaning of the "." maybe it's possible to do that in book details window. So instead of something like this:

Book.Type.Reviewed, Character.Character.Alien, Character.Character.Human, Character.Character.Vampire, Character.Description.YA, Character.Description.Slave, Book.Ending.Bad, Genre.Fantasy, Genre.Sci-Fi, Character.Profession.Outlaw, Character.Profession.Royalty, Character.Profession.Thief, Book.Setting.Alternative World

It could look like this:
Book, type, reviewed, character, alien, human, vampire, ya, description, slave, ending, bad, fantasy, sci-fi, profession, outlaw, royalty, thief, setting, alternative world.
(alphabetically or no, I just written them as they are in the first example)

It's not perfect since tags like book, genre, type, ending, character shouldn't even be there, but it's way better than the one above. (would be nice to be able to choose tags which shouldn't be shown in book details window, it would solve this little problem)

I am using hierarchical tags in an unique way I think, but this could look ugly even if it's used in a normal way. The example with the Paranormal. It would look like:

Paranormal.Magic, Paranormal.Ghost, Paranormal.Vampire - There are two words here unnecessary. If there are more tags the number increases and takes a lot of space.

instead of:
Paranormal, magic, ghost, vampire

I think it's the biggest problem of hierarchical tags. They only look nice in the tag browser. If it were fixed their use would greatly improve.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote