View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
1) Educate people [...]
Check.

Quote:
2) Pressure politicians across the world to turn away from the temptations of "bribes and contributions" [...]
We lose here.

Quote:
3) Organize and encourage coordinated public uprising in support of freer content availability.
This is starting to happen with sites like legaltorrents.com, Corey Doctorow and Lawrence Lessig's books being released online for free as well as printed and published. It'll take a lot more than that for it to really take hold though. We need a major movie house or music studio to wholeheartedly support it.

As someone said recently on another list:
DRM is supposed to get in your way when you redistribute. Its not supposed to prevent you from using media you legally own on equipment you legally own.
Quote:
But, still it's unlikely anyone can stop the big movie and recording industries from dominating the future of content rules and laws.
Related to that, give this diary entry a read. Follow the link to the summary at the bottom too. Basically the industry is gunning to make software authors legally liable when someone uses their software for maliscious or illegal purposes, starting with Bram Cohen, author of BitTorrent (which we use extensively I might add).

THAT is some scary stuff. That's like holding Anheuser Busch being held responsible for drunk drivers. What if someone sends me an mp3 through their work machine. Should Microsoft be held responsible because Exchange was used to deliver it? Its ludicrous.

I explained a fraction of these kinds of things to my wife, and she was shocked. She immediately said
"Why isn't this stuff on the news? Why aren't these kinds of cases on NPR? Why don't people like me hear about this stuff?"
THIS is the problem we need to solve. We have control of lots of public kinds of media-delivery services (blogs, websites like Mobileread, tools like Plucker, whatever) and we have MOTIVATION.

The mainstream public needs to know how their rights are being slowly taken away. Pry their eyes off of the latest reality show on Fox for 10 minutes and start explaining these things to them in their language. Motivate them to force change. Speak to their angst, get them to FEEL the pain the media companies are putting them through.

Quote:
I guarantee they don't give it just out of the kindness of their hearts. And they say it's just buying "access", not influence. And I've got a bridge to sell you also!
A huge tax break is one reason, and having the ability influence decisions by even 1% can make millions for a corporation. They put $500,000.00 into a politicians pockets or campaign and they make a few million on the back-end. Not a bad "investment", and the $500k is a nice fat tax deduction for them. Cute.

Quote:
Okay, I'm done ranting. Sorry. I just can't help myself sometimes. I'll go take my medication now...
Never stop ranting.

Never give up.

Never settle.

Never tolerate ineptitude or stupidity.

Always question what you don't agree with.

Not to toot my own horn, but as Alexander said... we need more people like me. Sometimes I wish I had a clone. My wife sometimes wishes there was one less of me. <grin>
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote