View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
Amen and amen! Except...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
The only way to get them to listen is to make a SERIOUS dent in their wallets...
This is a tough issue, and I might be way off base. But I think the only way change will happen is a three-fold attack for truth:
1) Educate people about the purpose of copyright law and replace the "Copying is theft and moral bankruptcy" message with "Copyright Law is supposed to be giving the best deal to the public for the public good."
2) Pressure politicians across the world to turn away from the temptations of "bribes and contributions" from content providers when deciding on legislative issues. Hmm.. I guess that's impossible. Well, at least expose them when they give in to the dollars.
3) Organize and encourage coordinated public uprising in support of freer content availability. Make it a popular cause. No, I'm not suggesting anarchy or violence or anything negative. I just mean build a grass roots movement for the good of all.

But, still it's unlikely anyone can stop the big movie and recording industries from dominating the future of content rules and laws. It's kind of like saying that we can make politics more fair if we educate the public about campaign finance and how it basically is allowing people with money to bribe politicians. Think about it... if a company president took personal money like a politician does wouldn't that be considered wrong? Suppose a buyer for a company took large amounts of money? But it's okay for politicians because... why? Aren't they sort of like caretakers for our money kind of like a corporate buyer is? Does anyone really believe that the money contributed by special interests doesn't affect their decisions? Obviously everyone giving the money thinks it buys influence, or they wouldn't waste all that money. I guarantee they don't give it just out of the kindness of their hearts. And they say it's just buying "access", not influence. And I've got a bridge to sell you also!

Okay, I'm done ranting. Sorry. I just can't help myself sometimes. I'll go take my medication now...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote