View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Four words:

I Told You So.

Just look at the things happening:

• With the broadcast flag being driven through as a rider on the back of unrelated bills
  • DVDs not allowing you to skip the intro commercials (soon the same thing will happen with HDTV as well, they're already talking about making it so you can't mute commercials, enforced by the broadcast flag)
  • I pay for television, and I am forced to watch commercials (already), why the heck are they also showing me "commercials" on the bottom 1/3 of my screen during actual progamming hours? It used to be a little banner, and now it's a 1/3 high, full-screen width animated commercial [and some even have sound!!!]
  • Analog being phased out in 2009, DTV being a "requirement" at that same time (and do you know why? Because the FCC wants to recover those frequencies and resell them to make more profit, nice.)
  • Schools moving to non-paper curriculum (thus making forging textbooks easy from year to year, ala the Ministry of Truth)
...and many other things, this was only the next progression in the whole thing.

Mark my words, we're going to see full cable channels being streamed to your PC or TV, which has to be "authorized", and from there, we'll see Pay-per-View for everything, just like in a hotel.

The media is just diving down a bunch of frantic paths because they know they've locked themselves into a dead-end path, and they're trying to make as much money as they can before they wither out and die.

Look at broadcast media vs. podcasts.. some television news channels even have sections of their programming dedicated to dictating "news articles" from blogs on the web. Repeat that slowly and you'll see the irony of it... News.. on TV... reading blogs aloud... from the Internet. CNN is one of these.

I'm phasing out my TV, Netflix, and dvd usage. I'm not going to contribute to an industry that is making it incredibly hard for me to enjoy the programming I'm PAYING for. They're not working for me, so I'm going to stop working for them.

The best high-definition media is right outside my front door, and its better for me to watch that than a bunch of color pictures on a piece of glass.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote