View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PSR500,Gen3, iPhone3G, PPro, iPad , Samsung Galaxy S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's little point in discussing the original firmware 476 since, to the best of my knowledge, that cannot be "rolled back" to, and only the very oldest Gen3's have it.

There's a very comprehensive discussion of what was fixed between 476 and 538 (the version which most "First Generation Hardware" Gen3's have) here.

The "Second Generation Hardware" (ie 512MB RAM, improved nav button) Gen3's ship with firmware version 674. That appears to be identical in fuctionality to the "upgrade" version, 685, other than displaying the firmware version as "1.0" rather than "1.1". Once you reflash a "2nd gen" machine to 685, I don't believe there's any way to return it to v674.

Really, therefore, the only question that arises is for owners of "1st gen" Gen3's - should they reflash to firmware 685 or not? Personally I found it a minor, but worthwhile, upgrade, but I don't use PDFs (which appear to have been rather "broken" in the upgrade).
Harry T I have to disagree a little here.

I just got one of the new Gen3's and updating from 674 to 684 does affect a few things, but most importantly PDF support. It stops reading a lot of PDF's that worked under V674.

Can't comment on the battery life as I ended up upgrading the firmware after a few hours of usage, and am currently getting to about 50% after a day and half of usage. As I haven't had it for long, haven't been able to run any proper tests yet.

From What I understand, people having problems with the current firm ware can contact Bookeen to get access to v538.

So the matrix might help newbies like me make a decision as to stick with the shipping version, upgrade or request the older firmware depending upon what features are key to them.

Personally, while the majority of my reading is text and html files,I do need the ability to read a few pdf's of newsletters I get. So I am on the fence as to whether to contact Bookeen about the older firmware.

If it was possible to easy to compare the three, it would make the decision a lot more easier.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote