View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
I got Kovid's fast bug response:
"That MOBI file uses two separate <h1> tags for the chapter number and the chapter. calibre inserts page breaks on <h1> tags and removes pages with too little content (the pages with numbers 1-9). Turn off the insert page break before setting.
status invalid"

I get that but don't understand why chapters 10 to end are not treated the same way ?

is the definition of "too little content" equal to one cahracter but not 2 or more characters ?

& is it sensible to delete even 1 character of text during a conversion. the conversion program does not know the possible significance of that 1 character ?

I'm not comfortable with a conversion program making hidden decisions to remove ANY text, surely it would be better to merge any short page with next page, not delete it entirely ?

PS I usually lose the "is this a bug" debates & expect to lose this one also, but to me -
throwing away a valid character of a book's text during a (default options) conversion IS a BUG, especially when
1. it is removed from within a <DIV.... /DIV> yet the surrounding empty div styling is left in.
2 the (mobi to epub) conversion used by calibre viewer behaves differently and does NOT do that.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
cybmole is online now   Reply With Quote