Thread: Multiple PDAs
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I abhor convergence and I believe that ultimately its a dead-end. We're going to end up with modular devices that can have "snap-in" capabilities, not hard-wired devices with multiple capabilities. This is the future of mobile devices.

That being said, I use a Tungsten T3 as my primary PDA, which talks over Bluetooth to my Nokia 3650 (the phone has a very capable PIM suite onboard but I don't use it at all), and both of those talk to my Motorola HS820 Bluetooth headset. The two requirements I have of a mobile phone are 1.) Voice dial and 2.) Bluetooth.

I use my PDA to look up numbers, which I send to the phone to dial over Bluetooth, and that connects to my headset to make the call. When I don't have the PDA in my hand (such as when driving or walking through an airport), I just tap the button on the side of my headset and voice dial whomever I'm trying to reach. At no point do I have to actually take the phone out, and in most cases, I never even have to take my PDA out to make calls.

I also use my HS820 as a wireless microphone and headset for my Thinkpad T42p laptop, which also has Bluetooth configured to do so (Linux, of course). I tap the button on the headset, the laptop wakes up and I can use my headset to talk over Skype or to listen to podcasts or whatever I want. I also use it to do dictation into notes verbally, using a speech to text app (its a bit rough, but it gets the job done, again, Linux).

Of course I have dozens of other gadgets that tie into this environment, but those are the three (well 4) primary devices I use every day. PDA + mobile + headset + laptop.

Everything works flawlessly, and I couldn't do all of this if it was stuffed into one single device (and I doubt I could have this level of functionality if I was running Windows).

If I want to switch out the phone, I can.. as long as it has voice dial and Bluetooth. If my T3 dies, I can replace it with another, or a Tungsten XXX (I'll never buy a LifeDrive, I find that whole platform utterly disgusting). The same goes for the laptop and headset.

Smooth, elegant, and uncomplicated functionality. That's the way it should be.

Last edited by hacker; 07-14-2005 at 01:51 PM.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote