View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #159
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Modifying system startup scripts is dangerous. Adding new scripts that break can cause reboots as well. Any new script SHOULD immediately exit if it does not see an ENABLE_myscript (or whatever) on the USB drive. That way deleting the enable file makes the bad script immediately exit before it can crash. But this only works if you have access to the USB Drive during a reboot crash.

Even better is to test new scripts before trusting them, by having them delete their own enable file immediately after checking to see if they should run (or even deleting themselves from the startup folder). That way they will only run once, and a reboot returns everything to normal.

Of course, I cannot force my methods on anybody, but I do recommend them for everybody.

Also, I do not like to install untrusted code on my computer without analyzing it first, and even adding safety features to their startup scripts as I recommended above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-31-2012 at 03:15 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote