View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #32
Crevecoeur
Crevecoeur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I also just bricked my Kindle Touch. I am getting the kindle start screen with the tree, but no loading bar and no error messages. When I attempt to connect to a Mac OSX (10.7) computer via USB, I get the following in the dmesg logs:

Code:
0        0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): [not sure if there is any harm in posting this online but I’ll leave it out just in case]
If, however, I attempt a hard reset I then get the following:

Code:
USBF:	3290.794	[see above] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 1 of Hub at 0xfd100000)
USBF:	3290.795	[see above] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
       0        0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): [see above]
When connecting to a Linux machine (Arch Linux):

Code:
usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
scsi10 : usb-storage 1-2:1.0
scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kindle   Internal Storage 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
If I reset the Kindle while connected to the Linux machine I get the same message (more or less). In both case the drive is in fact not mounted (it doesn't appear under the /media/ folder as it should and is not among the drives included when I run "df").

When connecting to a Windows (Vista) machine, a drive G: appears, but when I try to click on it I usually get a message indicating that the device is not connected. But it will occasionally open drive G: as a zero byte device. If I then try to put something on the drive, I again get the same message indicating that no drive is connected.

I’m assuming this means that the computers are reading this device in USB HID mode, as others have mentioned. Is this correct? I would like to salvage the Kindle, but while I am pretty good with software (although obviously not that good) I am pretty much ignorant when it comes to hardware/electronics, and the serial port method I’ve read about seems like it would be a pretty steep learning curve for me. Is there any hope of a USB drive solution at this point?

Also, can someone provide a link for the most concise, understandable-for-the-educated-layman description of the serial port method? I am tempted to just buy a new one and cut my losses because I think that I might end up putting more than $100 worth of work into it if I try to unbrick it!

Last edited by Crevecoeur; 02-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Crevecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote