View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #1118
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What are the most notable difference between 4.0 and 3.0?
There are lots of changes to the settings.
For example, there's a more detailed susetting for data consumption.

There's the facial recognition, mentioned in lots of reviews.
Working well, but I didn't test with a photo of myself for example.

The home screen has changed.
Until now, a long press on the home screen did activate a context menu, to add widgets for example.
Now it's all integrated into a single app:
Apps, widgets, market. You flick through the screens with your apps, then you enter the screen(s) with your widgets. Or you directly press "widgets" on top of the screen.

There's a smooth animation on the home screen.
If you've got more than 1 screen with apps, the 2nd one seems to zoom in from the background.

There's a huge developer's section in the settings:
USB debugging, stay awake, desktop backup password, strict mode enabled, pointer location, show touches, .....

Some additional live wallpapers.

What I don't like:
The context menu within the apps is sometimes on the bottom and sometimes on the top of the screen. So far, I don't see any logic behind that.

So far, the changes to 3.0 mainly seem to be of "cosmetical" nature.
There's no significant difference.
But of course it will be great, having the try same OS on all your Android units, instead of 2.x on your smartphones and 3.x on your tablets.

The interfaces of some stock apps slightly have changed, for example in the browser.

You have NFC and Android Beam now.

In general, 4.0 seems a bit more polished than 3.x. But on it's own, without bringing smartphones and tablets together, I don't think the changes would make up for a whole new revision (3 --> 4).

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote