View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Need an all rounded ereader. Kobo Touch vs the rest...

Hi,

I'm looking to buy in ereader in Australia in the next month or so. Currently, the Kobo Touch, the Sony PRS T-1 and the iRiver Story HD are the only mainstream models that are "officially" imported. Of the three, I've only used the iRiver Story HD and it was unimpressive. The text was sharp but I found the "wobbly nav-bar thingo" cumbersome to use and the screen contrast was poor. It was quite dark and yes, it was fully refreshed. Not sure if it has a partial refresh anyway. Is this the case with the E-Ink Pearl displays as well?

The T-1 seems okay but I am hesitant to pay 50 extra because it doesn't seem to do much more than the Kobo Touch which does most of what I need. So by elimination and its open nature, I am leaning towards the Kobo Touch.

I'm impressed by the formatting options for text and the clean user interface and landscape support for PDFs. I also like the frequency with which the Kobo team is pushing out firmware updates.

I don't need much out of the ereader. Like I mentioned, the formatting options are important to me and good PDF support as well. Reflow is not important.

It will cost a little bit more but importing a Nook ST or Kindle Touch is no big deal and also an option. What bothers me is that I will have to convert all non-AZW books to Mobi to use them on the Kindle and the Amazon store's selection outside of the US does not impress me, there are already several key titles that were more expensive or missing entirely. There's nothing wrong with the Nook but I have no compelling reasons to buy one. The ability to root the device and sideload Android apps is appealing but I have no real use for it.

I'm also considering the Bookeen Odyssey. It looks promising but I don't really know anything about it. Smooth scrolling, reflow and boot animations are nice but don't interest me.

So with all that in mind, is there something I've missed? Do any of you think there are good reasons to get any of the other readers mentioned that I have missed?

I also have a question about speed. This is one of the most important things to me and is pretty much the only thing I haven't been able to learn from YouTube reviews. The Kindle Touch just got a firmware update and is supposedly faster. So is the Kobo but most of the reviews are out of date and don't demonstrate this. From what I've seen, the Nook is plenty fast already. Does anybody think that after the latest round of updates, there is an appreciable difference between all these models?

Thanks for reading this far! Any input would be appreciated.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote