View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #122
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: *.*
@ixtab: I know how you feel.

I have been following a lot of different instructions on the net for compiling kindle stuff using my Ubuntu 11.x x64.

I have gone as far as downloading exactly the same crosstool versions and exactly following the instructions for various installations, yet I get missing stuff. Either header files are missing, or the compiled apps are missing libraries (or wrong library versions). The most recent attempt was building SDL so I can run GUI qemu x86 apps (and maybe doom or quake ).

Segfaults are common, even on simple "hello world" apps, but sometimes simple apps work.

This is getting to be a huge time sink.

One example is when I build myts-6, running the resulting app on the kindle touch gives an ASSERT error in calloc(), when the number of bytes to allocate is ZERO. In the source, one place it is computed as zero. Forcing that to a non-zero value just blows up at another place where calloc() is called with an immediate constant of zero. WTF?

So, I copied it to the kindle 3G, and there running myts gives an error about libc must be "glibc version >= 2.7", and libc on the k3 is symlinked to a version 2.5.

So... I want to compile apps that will run on all kindles (even k2). Any idea what version of CodeSourcery (or other crosstools) I should use?

And why does the binary version of myts work on K3 but on the touch it ASSERTS out when trying to allocate zero bytes (actually a calloc(0, 1) in the source code)?

Trying to build working code for the touch is getting real tedious and non-productive. How do you guys do it?

What worked best was a choot loop mount with debian repository build tools installed with apt-get, but my loop mount image died with it was full in mid build of something that uninstalled old libs but did not have room to install the new ones. Trying to fix it just made it worse.

I want to be able to do "make -j 4" on my host linux box anyway, so I need a COMPATIBLE cross tool that will build code compatible with all the kindle versions. Is that even POSSIBLE ???

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-23-2012 at 11:35 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote