View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #56
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Ken: that is only true if you have the tools to recreate your book in the new format. A writer do that, possibly. A reader who bought the finished product mostly can't, unless the format is completely open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You want a book that has DRM, you either choose Amazon which you don't like because they use mobi, or you choose Adobe which you also don't like because of Photoshop having more things than Gimp.
You should not be putting words into my mouth. I never said this. I don't dislike mobi. I don't dislike Amazon. Still I think that it's bad that such a big player feels the need to maintain a format all on their own, while all the rest of the world is using something different.

Also, I didn't say that I don't like Adobe, and didn't say that I don't like Photoshop because it has more features than Gimp. (I like, and own it, precisely because of that.) What I think is bad is that Adobe controls so many standards (or is one of the bigger players), and is using that power to enforce strict control, for example by trying to push Photoshop and their other products toward a monthly subscription service. (While there are alternatives, their programs are the default in most graphics related work; like it or not.)

Adobe presents the service as a feature and an advantage, but one year on that service costs the same as all the programs I now own. Then the cost continues, where it doesn't with my normally bought software. I buy it, and that's it.

What if Amazon, or Adobe, decides to stop Whispernet, the download cloud and/or drm-authentication, and moved to a page-by-page download "read-all-you-can" service, that would cost you $125 a month or so? Anyone who spends less than $125 a month on books, or does not have constant internet connection won't be happy and will be leaving, possibly losing all previously bought books if they didn't back them up.

And I *never* said I wanted anything for free either. I gladly pay, but after that, I don't want to have to do anything with the seller of the product, except when it breaks within warranty (which doesn't happen with books, of course).

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-23-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote