Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But - and forgive me for pointing this out - that's not a drop cap. A drop cap is when the initial letter extends downwards, not upwards.
Yes, that image is neither a dropcap nor a BFL (Big First Letter), which is an enlarged letter which is encapsulated in a "box" of white around it, usually extending 3 lines downward. That is a "Calibre Special," as I call it, genuinely called a "Raised Initial," and it's usually the result of nothing more than a span setting the fontsize to 1.5 or 2; in some cases (rare) to 2.5 or 3 ems. Nothing more. Calibre does this routinely when it encounters anything it construes as an attempt at a dropcap. That's not magic--it's simply Calibre.

Stupid question, but, to the OP: when did you try to generate this, using that dropcap span, and is the only result you obtained a Raised Initial? Is that correct? And did you use KG or Previewer, and I presume, since this is the SIGIL forum, and not the KINDLE or MOBI forum, nor the ePUB forum, that you used an ePUB you made in Sigil? Which you then fed to...what, KG? Or previewer, or...?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote