View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #86
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.yifanlu can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@demonseye316: no.

@yifanlu: Took longer than I expected because I was intermittently bitten by a misunderstanding and tried to find solutions for a nonexistent problem. Just to clarify on this: merely putting an update*.bin, then restarting was also not working with the MP3 jailbreak, or was it?

- via Settings->Update, the update works, because pubdevkey01.pem is considered.
- just putting it there and restarting does not work, because pubdevkey01.pem does not seem to be considered. Constantly getting Update error 3 here.

At least this is the current state of affairs on my device. I may also have screwed up something somewhere... (I thought that update*.bin had previously worked here as well with just restarting).

Can anyone clarify on this (i.e. how their device behaves for these two cases, with the mp3 jailbreak first, and then with the tar one)?
Unfortunately, the updates that run on restart are of another type (see option "kindletool create recovery"). The key for that is embedded inside the kernel (initramfs to be specific). In short, nope. Your bug also works on kindle 4s, so it would be nice if we get it working on there too. You can't use the dev key method, but you can use my key binding method from the 3.2.1 jailbreak. If you don't have the time, I can do it for you.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote