View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That was exactly the reason that I asked above if it's possible to export and import Calibre configurations. If it were possible, one could have different configurations for different use-cases; eg, a beginner's configuration, a Kindle-owner's configuration, etc.
The problem I have with this as a "solution" is that such things are not mutually exclusive, so the permutations become too large.

Which is where a wizard comes in - by leading the user through a number of questions the configuration can be tuned to get them started. So it could cover stuff the user can decide up front like off top of my head:
- title sort
- author sort
- device (there already)
- storing on the device (wraps the nasty complexity of metadata plugboards with just a dropdown of a couple of standard options)
- adding books (wrapping the regex/reading metadata)
- keeping track of stuff read (e.g. creating a custom column)
- questions which lead to some toolbar/menu simplifying

At any point they could run the wizard again to get this "dumbed down" simplification of Calibre's settings. Power users OTOH can go straight to all the existing preferences and lose nothing.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote