View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by novou View Post
There wasn't a click-wrap EULA on the KT when you load it up. I think all you agree to are the KoboBooks.com terms. I didn't see any specific message of statistics collection when I looked through them, but that's not the whole point.

They should add a clearly labeled & explained toggle in the settings which is disabled by default. As it is, the Kobo tracking defaults to opt-in, with no official, easy to locate means to opt-out. Personally, I believe they should have informed consent for this tracking, which is a standard clearly not met currently.
You can find their Terms of use and Privacy Policy on the kobobooks website. http://www.kobobooks.com/termsofuse

By using any of their services on any device (this I believe includes syncing to update firmware or using their firmware files) means you've agreed to and have read their policy. Linked out from the terms of use I found their Privacy Policy that says they do analytics. http://www.kobobooks.com/privacypolicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo Privacy Policy
1. ACCOUNTABILITY
(a) User Accounts and Personal Information
We may record information about Your usage, such as when and how often You use the Kobo Service as well as information You display or click on within the Kobo Service (including UI elements, settings, and other information), and may share this information to trusted third parties, including Our publishers or other suppliers of content.
I'm sure there's more info there that goes over what and why they're doing it and how everyone has "Techincally" agreed to it.

They're far more transparent that pretty much every single mobile app developer on Android, iPhone, Blackberry, etc. Those all have Google Analytics.

I don't agree with your want for a button to turn off and opt-out by default. They need their data to run their storefront/business as best they can and to improve their UI and products.

If you don't like the terms for a product or service don't use it and choose someone else. In their business most (if not all) companies will be doing the same thing so pick your lesser evil or whichever company you feel more fuzzy about.

Last edited by Lunchtray; 01-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote