I squeaked in with 102 books for 2011 by reading some of the shortest books on my to-read list in the last week just so I could reach my goal of 100 books. According to Goodreads I read a total of 29,380 pages though, so at about 300 pages a book, I guess that averages out to a fairly respectable number. I could have read much more if I hadn't just stopped reading for about 3 months for some unknown reason about the middle of the year. Out of 102, 89 of the books I read in 2011 were on my kindle.
For 2012, I'm setting a few goals for myself.
1) Read a minimum of 100 books.
Out of those 100+ books..
2) Participate in Goodreads' Lifetime reading challenge - read atleast 1 book published in each year since I was born. This means I will read at least 1 book published in every year since 1976 to present.
3) Read my way through the 3 bags of paperbacks sitting in the garage and donate them back to the thrift store I got them from the in the first place. And resolve NOT to succumb to their $1/bag of books sale again at least not until those books are gone. (When I purchased the books they ALL fit in a single bag, I had to separate them into 3 bags to be able to carry them without ripping the bag.
While the following are not strictly reading challenges, they are book related, so I'm adding them here.
4) Organize the boxes of books I have in the garage and clear out my bookshelves, getting rid of books I have no desire to read again, as well as ancient computer manuals (Photoshop 3.0 anyone?) Sort my bookshelves to put like books together so I can actually find a book when I'm looking for it. (craft, design, fiber arts, cookbooks, etc)
5) Load my 10 GB or so of ebooks I have into Calibre, weed out the duds and organize the remainder into some sort of meaningful order so I can actually see what I own and find things to read from there instead of going in search of something new each time I'm looking for a book.
And just for fun:
6) Learn how to put together an ebook and start working on a cookbook that contains my own and my mom's favorite recipes.
Last edited by tgnd; 01-01-2012 at 03:46 AM.